Sunday 18 September 2011

Did I mention the Ducks?

Well, nice long sleep with no weird dreams, ok, rephrase that, no gory dreams, as mine are always a bit odd, its the nature of dreams isn't it?
I was rearranging a house with an ex, although the house and the ex kept changing,  and setting up a stall selling clothes and food in the market. And why not? :)
AH yes, ducks. We had 7 to begin with, they were a 'rescue'. They roam freely in my mini field all day, and tucked up in their duck house (which was a present for my 40th birthday from my mum) at night. But, we have lost 3. Fox? Nah, they kill all of them at once usually. We have lots of mink round here, and they tend , my farmer friend tells me, to steal one at a time. So, we are down from 6 or 7 eggs a day to 3 or 4, and recently down to 1 or 2 .. I thought it was down to the season or something else random, but having wandered the field last week, found little 'nests' dotted about with eggs which will now be 'off'. So, less for me to sell at the local deli, and less for us to eat! Trouble is, having left the back half of the field to be wild, I cannot get trough it to check for any eggs at the back of the wilderness. Dammit! These ducks are too cunning for me!
Wish I could train my dog to go find the eggs and carry them to me! Don't laugh, my farmer friends daughter HAS trained her springer spaniel to do just that for their chicken eggs - if he delivers them to her without dropping them, he gets biscuits! How fab is that? Will she hire him to me?!
Now all that is fine and dandy, the sack of food costs £6 and last 2 or 3 weeks, plus scraps from us, so they don't cost us really, but the issue now, since I'm all "ill and feeble", is the ...
Mucking Out Of The Duck Shed.  Hmmm. Teenage girls are NOT tempted. May have to resort to bribery. I do have friends next door with lads of 19 and 25, and am thinking of recruiting them too!

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm, sounds like recruitment and bribery the way to go, can you get anyone to clear back of field so the girls could keep on top of it once cleared?

    Just go gender stereotypes? Girls to collect eggs once field and old eggs all cleared, boys to muck out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's too rough and bumpy to keep on top of unfortunately unless you have some farmers tools to hand! ;)
    I could though put a fence up in front of the wild bit to keep ducks out of it? Then persuade someone to buy me a petrol strimmer to keep on top of the nettle patches round the edges...

    actually I am considering joining an allotment share scheme - they get to clear and rotovate, and grow veg for free, I get a normal field and some free carrots ....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both those ideas sound really good, allotment scheme very good, I see bartering, you give some eggs, they do some mucking?

    Good luck back in work tomorrow, I am off out to lunch with a friend and debating whether to try a dance class tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete