Wednesday 19 October 2011

Results day, sort of...?

I saw some fit firemen in the firestation gym, which momentarily distracted me from the training course... then I dashed off to get the hospital for my Boob Tube Flush and the results.
The consultant told me that the PET scan showed the lumps had disappeared apart from the one on the right hand side, so the chemo is working but I need more treatments ... so I will have 3b next week and then likely to need 4a and b too - at their team meeting on Friday they will discuss radiotherapy. But then she threw in this little gem - one option, rather than current chemo and radiotherapy, would be to go in as an in-patient for 5 days for intense chemo... she said it's not known yet, until discussed, if this would give a better long term prognosis than sticking with original plan, plus the side effects and any risk of infections would be more severe.
That stopped me in my tracks I have to admit.
I said that I didn't want to do the 5 day thing unless it was a matter of life or death. She said it wouldn't be. I also said that what would I do with my kids whilst I was in hospital? I said my mother would offer, but that she was 67 with a bad hip, one lung and uses a nebuliser, my stepdad is 72, and my 6 year old wouldn't sleep.... the consultant said my views for treatment were as valid as anything else and she would tell the team on Friday what I had told her. She said I would be less likely to die from the side effects of plan A than plan B?!
So I'm feeling a bit weird. The chemo is working, but I'll need 8 not 6 chemo's and the consultant  thinks dropping a 5 day stay into the conversation is fine - why that suggestion? Is the lump a serious lump, too stubborn? Or does she think an intense blast would be better??
So I should be really pleased but I feel a bit confused and there's nothing more she can tell me until next Wednesday.
So, I dunno ... hoorah for lots of lumps having gone, and , erm, um, oh, for the rest! 
Here's to kicking it's arse even harder and shifting any remaining naughty lumps ASAP! :)

2 comments:

  1. Exactamento! The results are quite good. But the 5 days option ... you'll have to mull it over, maybe ask around. Or ask the same person again?
    Hugs, and then some more :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like there are a lot of questions to be asked and much discussion/pondering, not surprised you feel confused... But big yay for disappearing lumps, that's great news.

    Looking forward to seeing you next Saturday xxx

    ReplyDelete