Friday 20 January 2012

Consulant Chat

So I went to the hospital Wednesday for bloods and to see Dr P-J (no she isn't a pair of pyjamas).

Whilst I was there I saw a young lad and a worried looking mum and they looked like First Timers. They were taken aside for a chat and then one of the nurses asked if I would show the lad (maybe 17-19 years old?) my Hickman Line as he was having difficulty understanding what she meant and he was being booked for one. Soo I went and showed him and told him that it sounded weird at first but was in fact very useful. I stopped short of advising him to have a general not a local when it happens! Then he was out in a chair opposite me and wired up to the drip and I smiled at him and asked what he was having today, and he shrugged like he didn't care and said he didn't know, he left all that to him mum to listen to. The nurse half joked with him that that wasn't good enough. I asked his mum if it was his first session and she nodded. He was having ABVD. SO I said the speech about everyone reacts differently but I'd been fine and he may be able to still work p//t depending on what happens etc. The poor lad looked totally in-denial-and-shock and I wanted to cwtch him and his mother. Fucking cancer!

So, Dr P-J examined my neck and said she could feel nothing - I explained Lumpy did start to swell again before I went in, and she said that is why we are cracking on with getting the stem cell stuff done, as my lump responds quickly to chemo but doesn't disappear - stubborn bastard! That's what you get for being an awkward cow with a rare (1-3% likelihood) form of lymphoma that is quite possibly as stubborn as oneself ... dammit! But there is the good ol' NHS spending a lot of money on me to make me better. So, combined with friends' support and the familys' support and everyone's love and some peoples' prayers and others' blessings, along with my determined-ness (ooh new word) and Kicking Pissflapping Cancer's Arse attitude, we're nearly there guys and gals ... well, nearly at end of this particular stage. Coz I know there will be maintenance and top-ups and blood tests etc for a while after the transplant, and we don't know when the transplant will be yet! The staff nurse said it wouldn't be too long due to the situation. And I didn't get a chance to ask her what she meant by that as the consultant whisked me off for the Chat.

So I will now have a CT and a PET scan in the first week of Feb - even if these show that there is no cancer visible, we're doing stem cell anyway to make sure Lumpy DOES stay away (as far as possible coz we know how tricksy cancer can be!)

Add to that the 3 days of out-patient for harvesting stem cells at end of this month and a meeting with my new stem cell consultant (Keith from Trinidad) on 7th Feb, and I am pretty much booked up for appointments!!

Talking of being booked up, the next few days are a bit barmy - coffee with JW tomorrow morning, then LV is down from Cardiff for lunch. Saturday, EB, a friend I am reunited with after 9 years is coming over with 3 of her 4 kids (one being at Uni) for lunch, catch up etc! Sunday K is down visiting family and coming over for coffee and natter. And my friend KN, just recovering from removal of thyroid, and I are going to cafe on Monday for a treat. Which is all good as it distracts me from going in for stem cell harvesting Tues-Thurs ;)

And my lovely 14 year old has come in from her first gig (apart from going to festivals with me) in a venue instead of a field and went in the mosh pit and did crowd-surfing!! She is a Very Happy Womble indeed :D

And its 1am!!! Get to sleep woman!!

2 comments:

  1. Good morning woman :)
    Stem cells rock!
    As do you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey you!! You are top rock chick hehe! xx :))

    ReplyDelete