Wednesday 25 January 2012

Bumper 'Harvest' ; or, When My Luck Was In


Yesterday's stem cell harvest, day #1 of a possible 3, turned out VERY well and I did NOT need to go back :)))

They told me that they needed a stem cell level of a minimum of 0.8 to proceed (I was not made aware of this before the day and so was unaware that I could have been sent home again an hour after arriving, which was a little unsettling as I had nobody with me to take me home, having arrived by taxi and due to be picked up again at 5pm!) - they came back and said it was a level of 14, so, huzzah!

I was then wired up to the machine (I will try to add photos later) and told my arm with the cannula in had to stay completely still for SIX hours. Fab. ?? The big seat I was in was fully adjustable from all angles so that stopped me getting backache too badly. I had to drink very little as unable to be taken off machine for 6 hours, so either wait for a pee , or have curtains around me and use a commode. I managed to hold out for 6 hours.

This is a personal record for me and I wish it to be officially recognised. Thank you.

I tried to read my book using one hand and/or my lap. This was managed in short bursts. I played games on my phone, using my left hand. My signal was sporadic so could not text very frequently nor get onto Macland etc.

I resorted to taking photos and video footage of this bloody amazing machine! I guess its similar set up to dialysis? Other patients who came and went in the chair opposite me, having bloods or chemo etc, stared with open-mouthed amazement at the magickal machine. I felt like something out of a weird sci-fi film.

So much blood gushing into the machine! How can a machine recognise plasma and stem cells out of blood and separate and sort them into separate bags?? Fab! I had none of the side-effects mentioned. Just after it started up, I had a metallic taste in my mouth for a few minutes, but that was that. Oh, and feeling very sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeepy.

At lunchtime the People From The Lab appeared and took a sample from my stem cell bag to give them an idea of how much I was producing and therefore how many days I'd need to be attached to machine. At 4pm, they told me that they need to collect between 2-4 'bags' worth of stem cells, 2 for transplant, 2 for spares. I had given them enough for 10 bags. HAHAHA! So I did not need to return at all! Huzzah again!

At 4.30, they disconnected me and I had to sit up carefully, and flex my by then very numb and stiff arm! Then go to the loo, have a drink, perform like a normal person (that took some covering up I can tell you!!) and the released! The pee was such a welcome one!!!!!!!!!! And then the coffee I bought downstairs was bliss!!

No bruise where cannula was inserted. Yay!

Just as I thought I was spared the hospitals for the rest of this week, the Heath called again this morning. Can I go in Thursday for a PET scan? This time it's an hour long and with arms above my head?! Joy. My back is already sore, so I told them I'm taking a small cushion for the small of my back and if the scan has to pause or be cancelled because I'm in pain, then so be it! I know I have to have this as its important for checking staging and progress etc etc, so let's hope my back behaves :)

1 comment:

  1. Having checked with the only person who's free tomorrow, she's booked in for interview on the radio at 2 pm so can get me there but not get me back. She would try to cancel interview but they are sking her all about being voted in as the Midwife of Wales Award so i cannot ask her to miss it!!!

    I have a friend in Cardiff who could get me back BUT has no sitter at short notice for her baby and as I'll be radioactive I am not allowed near small children for 6 hours!!! Its stressing me out too much so I shall call them in morning and rearrange, tell them my lift fell through. And I can't drive myself as too knackered and my back would be in pieces!!!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

    Anyway, I'll get one for next week, my consultant said first week of Feb, so this was early anyway :))

    ReplyDelete